Awash in migrants, Italy steps up deportations for relief Published January 21, 2017 The Wall Street Journal

FILE: Migrants disembark from Italian Coast Guard patrol vessel Diciotti in the Sicilian harbour of Catania, Italy

As Italy looks for fresh ways to cope with the hundreds of thousands of migrants bottled up in the country, one solution is rising to the top of the agenda: deportation.

The pressure on Rome to ease its migration problem is growing after the country saw a record 180,000 migrants arrive by boat last year, bringing the total of seaborne arrivals to about half a million since the start of 2014. The revelation that the Tunisian man accused of a deadly attack on a Berlin Christmas market had evaded an Italian expulsion order also has given Italy new impetus to toughen its stance.

 In response, the new government of Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni is set to unveil plans Wednesday to open 16 new detention centers throughout the country to hold migrants who receive expulsion orders, enabling Rome to raise the number of forced repatriations. They are also ordering police to intensify efforts to find illegal migrants.

Italy also plans to curtail the number of appeals migrants can lodge when their applications are denied and create special sections within the court system to process the appeals more quickly.

“Severe measures in dealing with illegal immigration allow us to be stronger in helping with integration,” said Interior Minister Marco Minniti this month.

 

LIVE: Trump Presidential Inauguration 2017 | ABC News ABC News ABC News

The long and turbulent 2016 election reaches its final milestone today when Donald Trump is sworn in as the 45th president of the United States. Trump will take the oath of office promptly at noon, which marks the official transfer of power. The inaugural address comes toward the end of the outdoor ceremony, and shortly after that, Obama will leave and Trump will attend a luncheon before the rest of the scheduled events — including the parade and various balls — fill out the landmark day.

 

 

About 2,000 expected to march Saturday for women’s rights in Spokane in wake of Trump inauguration Spokesman.com Wed, Jan 18 2:48 PM PST

Spokane will join cities around the country Saturday holding a march for women’s rights following Donald Trump’s inauguration Friday.

About 2,000 people are expected to attend, organizers said in a news release.

The Spokane-North Idaho Women’s March begins with a rally at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Spokane Convention Center, followed by 1 p.m. march through downtown.

Marchers can then return to the convention center for a volunteer fair and learn more about ways to get involved in Spokane.

Organizers also will be collecting clothing, blankets and personal supplies for homeless women through Hope House.

The march is supposed to be non-partisan and focused on human rights.

“It isn’t about one person or a group of people. It is about setting a precedent against hate, sexism, and all the other ism’s that have been tolerated far too long. We are marching for our marginalized groups and for equity and equality for all,” organizers wrote on Facebook.

More information about the march, including parking options, bus routes and hotel discounts, is available at WomensMarchOnSpokane.org or on Facebook.

“ኣብ ኤርትራ፣ 2 ሚልዮን ህዝቢ ናይ መግቢ ረዲኤት የድልዮ” CARE International Radio Erena: 19 January 2017

Suff

ኣብ ኤርትራ፣ ክሳብ 2016 ኣብ ዝነበረ ግዜ፣ ኣስታት 2 ሚልዮን ህዝቢ ናይ መግቢ ረድኤት ከምዘድልዮ CARE International ዝተባህለ ኣህጉራዊ ትካል ገሊጹ።

እቲ ትካል፣ ‘ብስቕታ ዝሳቐዩ ዘለው ህዝብታት’ ብዝብል ኣርእስቲ ኣብ ዘውጽኦ ጸብጻብ፣ መንግስቲ ኤርትራ፣ ዝኾነ ናይ ረድኤት ትካላት ናብታ ሃገር ከይኣትዋ ብምእጋዱ፣ ኣበርክቶ ክገብር ከምዘይክኣለ ኣፍሊጡ።

ኣብ ኤርትራ 1.2 ሚልዮን ቆልዑ፣ ብዋሕዲ መኣዛዊ መግቢ ከምዝሳቐዩ ማዕከን ቆልዑ ሕቡራት ሃገራት -UNICEF ኣብ መጀመርያ ዓመተ 2017 ምሕባሩ ኣይርሳዕን።

እቲ ኣህጉራዊ ትካል ኣብ ዝዘርግሖ ጸብጻብ፣ ካብ 2015 ኣትሒዙ ኣብ ኤርትራ ዝተኸስተ ዞባዊ ደርቂ ኤል-ኒኖ፣ ን80 ሚእታዊት ካብ ህዝቢ ኤርትራ ከምዝጸለወ ብምጥቃስ፣ ኣብ ሰለስተ ዞባታት ዝተራእየ ሸሮኽ’ውን ነቲ ኩነታት ከምዘጋደዶ’ዩ ዝጠቅስ።

ብዋሕዲ መሰረታዊ መግብን መኣዛዊ መግቢ ቆልዑን ብዝያዳ ዝተጠቕዐ ዞባታት ኤርትራ፣ ሰሜናዊ ቀይሕ ባሕሪ፣ ዓንሰባን ጋሽ ባርካን ምዃኑ ዘተሓሳሰበ UNICEF፣ ካብ ጠቕላላ ብዝሒ ናይቲ በቲ ኩነታት ዝተጸልወ ኣስታት 2 ሚልዮን ህዝቢ ፣ እቶም 60 ሚእታዊት ትሕቲ 18 ዓመት ዝዕድሚኦም ምዃኖም ኣስሚርሉ።

ብመሰረት UNICEF ኣብ 2017 ዘቕረቦ ጸብጻብ፣ እቲ ትካል ኣብ ኤርትራ ህጹጽ ናይ መግቢ ረድኤትን መኣዛዊ መግቢን ዘድልዮም ቆልዑን ዝውዕል 16 ሚልዮን ዶላር ካብ ለገስቲ እኳ እንተሓተተ፣ ክሳብ 30 ጥቅምቲ 2016 ኣብ ዝነበረ ግዜ 7.8 ሚልዮን ዶላር ጥራይ ከምዝረኸበ’ዩ ሓቢሩ።

እቲ ትካል ኣብ ዓመተ 2017፣ ህጹጽ ናይ መግቢ ሓገዝን መኣዛዊ መግብታትን ዘድልዮም ንኣስታት ፍርቂ ሚልዮን ቆልዑ ንምብጻሕ መደብ ከምዘለዎ እቲ ናይ ሕቡራት ሃገራት ኣካል ኣገንዚቡ።

መንግስቲ ኤርትራ፣ ሳላ ዝነበረ ጽቡቕ ክራማት ኣብዚ ዓመት እዚ እኹል ምህርቲ ከምዝተሓፍሰ ኣብ ዝገልጸሉ ዘሎ እዋን’ዩ፣ UNICEF ኣስታት ፍርቂ ሚልዮን ቆልዑ ህጹጽ ናይ መግቢ ረዲኤትን መኣዛዊ መግብታትን ከምዘድልዮም ዘመልክት ዘሎ።

ኤርትራ ሓንቲ ካብተን ኣብ ትሑት ደረጃ ምዕባለን ድኽነትን ዝርከባ ቀዳሞት ሰለስተ ሃገራት ዓለም ምዃና ሕቡራት ሃገራት ኣብ ዘውጽኦ ዝርዝር ኣቐዲሙ ገሊጹ’ዩ።

ይኹን’ምበር ከም CARE International ዝኣመሰላ ትካላት ረድኤት፣ ናብ ኤርትራ ኣትየን ምስ መንግስቲ ብሽርክነት ህዝቢ ንምሕጋዝ ከይሰርሓ ከምዝተኸልከላ’የን ዝገልጻ።

ኣብ ዝበዝሐ ሃገራት፣ ትካላት ረድኤት፣ ካብ ዝህብኦ ኣገልግሎት ዝፈጥርኦ ጸገማት ስለዝዛይድ፣ መንግስቲ ኤርትራ’ውን ትካላት ረድኤት ናብ ኤርትራ ብብዝሒ ክኣትዋ ከምዘይፈቅድ ይፍለጥ።

Eritrea: Release Patriarch Abune Antonios   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 18, 2017

  Patriarch Abune Antonios

WASHINGTON, D.C. – January 20, 2017 marks the 11-year anniversary of the Eritrean government’s illegal removal of Abune Antonios as the rightful Patriarch of the Eritrean Orthodox Church,
the nation’s largest religious community. The Patriarch has been detained since 2007: His “crime” was his refusal to excommunicate 3,000 parishioners who opposed the government.

“The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) calls on the Eritrean government to release Abune Antonios, allow him to return to his position as Patriarch, and cease its interference in the Eritrean Orthodox Church,” said USCIRF Chair Rev. Thomas J. Reese, S.J. “The government’s persecution of Patriarch Antonios is only one example of the country’s grave religious freedom violations. Eritrea has been called the North Korea of Africa due to its vigorous assault on the rights of its people:  Thousands are imprisoned for their religious beliefs and their real or imagined opposition to the government.

One year after removing the Patriarch, Eritrean authorities confiscated his personal pontifical insignia. On May 27, 2007, the Eritrean government forcibly removed Patriarch Antonios from his home and placed him under house arrest at an undisclosed location. He remains detained and is denied medical care despite severe heath concerns.

Chair Reese has taken up the case of Patriarch Antonios as part of USCIRF’s Religious Prisoners of Conscience Project.

The Eritrean government engages in systematic and egregious violations of religious freedom, including torture or other ill treatment of religious prisoners, arbitrary arrests and detentions without charges, a prolonged ban on public religious activities of unregistered religious groups, and interference in the internal affairs of registered religious groups.

President Isaias Afwerki and the Popular Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ) have ruled Eritrea with absolute authority since the country’s 1993 independence from Ethiopia. Private newspapers, political opposition parties, and independent nongovernmental organizations are not allowed in Eritrea.  The government requires all physically and mentally capable people between the ages of 18 and 70 to perform national service full-time and indefinitely.

In 2016, the United Nations Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in Eritrea concluded that Eritrean authorities had committed crimes against humanity.

Since 2004, USCIRF has recommended, and the State Department has designated, Eritrea a “country of particular concern,” or CPC, for its systematic, ongoing, and egregious violations of religious freedom. For more information, please see USCIRF’s chapter on Eritrea in the 2016 Annual Report.

USCIRF’s Religious Prisoners of Conscience Project highlights the plight of individuals who have been imprisoned for their religious beliefs, practices or identity. To learn more about this project or to interview a Commissioner, please contact USCIRF at media@uscirf.gov or 202-523-3258.

Tags:

Refugee crisis: More than 100 asylum seekers drown as boat sinks in the Mediterranean Sea

More than 100 refugees have drowned after a boat sank in rough conditions in the Mediterranean Sea as the crisis shows no sign of slowing.

The Italian Navy was searching for survivors from the vessel, which was believed to be carrying up to 110 people.

Only four survivors were pulled from the water, with at least eight bodies found so far.

The boat went down in waters between Libya and Italy, which has become the deadliest sea crossing in the world since the start of the refugee crisis.

It claimed the vast majority of more than 5,000 lives lost in treacherous boat journeys to Europe in 2016, the deadliest year on record, with people drowning or being crushed or suffocated in overcrowded smugglers’ boats.

Saturday’s disaster was the worst single incident so far this year, which has already seen at least 122 deaths at sea.

At least 550 refugees were rescued on Friday alone off the coast of Libya, where continuing conflict and lawlessness since the British-backed defeat of Muammar Gaddafi has allowed the smuggling and exploitation of migrants to thrive.

Two people were found dead at the bottom of one of the four boats saved and the bodies of four other migrants were found off the coast of Spain. Several asylum seekers have also died in the extreme weather conditions gripping much of Europe in recent weeks.

More than 5,000 refugees were drowned, suffocated or crushed while attempting to cross the Mediterranean and Aegean seas in 2016, making it the deadliest year on record.

Many deaths are thought to go unrecorded, with bodies either disappearing or washing up on the shores of Libya, where authorities do not routinely release casualty figures. Some boats are sighted by Italian authorities but disappear before they can be reached by rescue ships.

mediterranean-rescues-january3.jpg

The Unravelling the Mediterranean Migration Crisis (Medmig) project partly blamed Britain and EU nations for rocketing death rates, concluding that the refusal to open up legal routes for those seeking safety in Europe has increased demand for people smuggling on ever more dangerous routes.

Operations to combat the thriving trade have driven the use of smaller and less seaworthy boats to cross the Mediterranean, which are harder to spot by ships patrolling as part of the EU’s Operation Sophia and authorities in north Africa.

Poorly made dinghies are now being loaded with more than 150 people a time, creating the risk of sinkings, capsizings or the inflatable bursting under the strain, as well as deadly fuel spills.

More than 1,600 migrants and refugees have arrived by sea in Europe so far this year. The vast majority of those arriving in Italy are African, from countries including Nigeria, Eritrea and Guinea, while most of the much lower number of asylum seekers reaching Greek islands are Syrian, Afghan or Iraqi.